You would be hard-pressed to find someone who has never heard of essential oils. But not that many people know exactly what they are and how they could benefit from them. The use of oils — for cosmetic reasons, as well as emotional and spiritual reasons — has been around since ancient times. But it has become a growing trend thanks to mounting evidence that they can have a positive effect on things like your mood, memory and energy level.
What Are Essential Oils
Oils are obtained by extracting concentrated liquid from a plant (like lavender or eucalyptus). Once you have contained the “essence” of the plant’s fragrance (thus earning the title “essential”), you can use it for many purposes.
Oils in their purest form — meaning nothing has been added to them —are actually more potent than the botanicals from which they were extracted; and are popular among those wanting to go the natural route.
With so many choices available on the market, you’ll want to do some homework before choosing an essential oil. The first thing you want to check out is the label. Look at the ingredients to make sure it includes only essential oils, and no fillers. You’ll also want to compare prices — if you are paying well below the average, there’s a good chance that oil has been made from poor quality ingredients.
How Essential Oils Work
There are many ways to use essential oils, including:
- some can be applied directly to skin
- heating it in a diffuser
- adding it to your bath water, lotion, or massage oil
What Essential Oils Can Do
There are many uses for essential oils. Here are some common uses:
- Use lavender oil to promote a sense of well-being.
- Use rosemary to help energize and wake you up through scent.
- Tea tree oil mixed with baking soda can be used around the house for cleaning, since other conventional cleaning products may contain chemicals.
- Mix a few drops of your favorite smelling essential oil with water and spritz your wet laundry before popping it into the dryer.
- Use that same water bottle to spray your face in lieu of toner.
To learn more about essential oils and to buy, visit California Baby.